Monday, April 8, 2013

Spiritual Balancing Act


This week I am focusing on balance. The kind of balance that keeps one well rounded and grounded. The kind of balance that allows for a joyful heart and a passion for life.  Yep, that’s what I’m talking about.

The foundational balance of all things “balance” is a healthy spiritual life. For me, that involves:
1.       Prayer - morning, grace, traffic, breath, intercessory, corporate
2.       Study - Bible, Spiritual development, Christian nonfiction, videos, podcasts
3.       Accountability - meeting with my Christian sisters who help me to stay on the right path
4.       Worship – at church, in the car, cleaning the house, going for a run
5.       Giving – money, gifts and talents, time, energy

Let me make this very clear; Superwoman, I am not. This is the list of things from which I gain my spiritual balance, but not all at the same time!! Some days it is all I can do to squeeze in a prayer or two.  Other days I will do something from every category. The important thing for me is to consistently cover these over the course of a week. I will indeed get off balance if I go too long without any one of these categories.

Dan Miller, author of 48 Days to the Work You Love, talks about making deposits into the different areas of your life to maintain balance. We have to consciously choose to make consistent deposits into these important areas of our lives.

Balance is a choice. It does not just happen by accident. It does not happen overnight. 

Start small and act on it.
         “God, please show me one way that I can serve you today and give me the courage to do it. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment